Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On the eve of childhood

My eyes are heavy from a long full day. I should be crawling into bed right now because morning will come early. I just can't seem to force myself to go though...not quite yet anyway. I am not ready to wake tomorrow.

My baby is going to be one!

 

I am trying to articulate all the emotions swirling around my mind. This day has crept up on me. It has been a day mixed with tears, both sadness and joy.  I wanted that time would slow down just a little this year. I wanted to enjoy each day, and honestly I  have. I have enjoyed getting to know her and watch as her little personality emerges. She fits her name well...pure joy. It's what she is.

I wanted to hold her a little closer and nurse just a little bit longer.  I have and I will.

But the days are fleeting.

I am excited to see who she will become and what God has planned for her. But I am not ready for her to stop being a baby just yet. She is my last and it is so bittersweet.  Some days more bitter then sweet, but I taste the good in what is to come.

Oh sweet one, I will close my eyes tonight and continue to thank God that He blessed us with you (our surprise gift). You were a good thing from above.

Tomorrow when we wake we will celebrate you and the life He has given. I will soak up every last moment until the day is gone. And when the next day comes we will hold on and look forward to what your childhood will bring.

But just so you know, my heart won't let go...you'll always be my baby!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

You captured my exact emotions when my baby girl turned one. She is now almost 17 months and I still feel this way...teary-eyed and emotional. I want her to be a baby again...even if only for 5 minutes. I want to smell her baby smell and kiss her baby face. I'm going to go cry now! (Just kidding, maybe.) :-)

Charlyn said...

Oh Liz, I feel your pain. And for every milestone it will feel like a last with the baby. Last first tooth, last day of kindergarten, last day in middle school! With each passing day and with each child, the Lord has to pry my fingers a little more to let go. One is grown and gone, one is leaving the nest in the fall, and the baby...now in high school. Can't we be "mommies" forever? But then God will bless you with a grandchild, and you can start the cycle all over again, only this time, it's even more fun!! I am entering a new stage in life, where B and I get to be completely together again!! Enjoy each day as I know you will. God has blessed you with a wonderful family!!

The Bailie Clan said...

beautiful pictures! just LOVE them! it's so amazing how fast the year went by, and now our babies are 1!!!! :) for me.... I'm excited now that he's 12 months. my favorite age is now...the 12-18 month phase...... YIPPEEE!

Stephanie said...

That must be strange...to know that your last baby is growing up. You're turning the page to a new chapter in life. Bittersweet indeed.

Thinking of you.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Babywearing