Thursday, February 22, 2007

A gift from Heaven

Well...I don't know if it was really a gift from Heaven but I would say that God definitely blessed me with something so simple yesterday.

I took Anna and Ryan to their "shake your sillies out" class at the YMCA yesterday. The kids always run ahead of me to see who can get to the door first. I noticed something by Ryan's foot when I caught up to them. It looked like a piece of garbage blowing in the wind. I bent down to grab it and it turned out to be a $5 bill! There was no one around to ask if it belonged to them so I kept it. (I felt that was an ok thing to do) I put it in my pocket and didn't think any more about it.

Later that afternoon I put all three of my kiddos down for a nap. We had had some behaviour issues and I was feeling a little discouraged. I decided that we all needed a little brake! I laid down to rest and pray. When I had finished pouring out my heart before the Lord I felt like I should call Lucy (my dear friend and mentor). I told her all of my "sorrows" (ok, ok, I know they seem really small in compression to all the suffering that others are going through but it was my pain for the moment.). She asked me if I could "run away" for a little bit and meet her for coffee. Bill had just gotten home for the day so he agreed to hold down the fort while I went out. I didn't have to go far because we live right next to a coffee shop! :)

This is where the $5 bill that I had found comes into play! I had a wonderfully refreshing time with Lucy. What an encouragement the Lord provided for the next half hour as we visited. There is something so valuable about a friend who at the moment you need is able to pick up and meet you where you are. Not just physically but spiritually as well.

I am amazed how God provided for me. He provided the money for the coffee and the time and availability of a friend!

Oh God,
thank you for how you have blessed me! Your love amazes me. You lavish me with Your grace that I totally don't deserve. In all my selfishness and sin you still reach out to me and provide exactly what I need at that exact moment. Thank you for the gift of friendship and for godly woman that you have allowed to come alongside and encourage me in this race of life. Thank you also for times of loneliness (even though this was not one of those moments) that you use to draw me closer to you. Thank you God for being my Jehovah-jireh. Thank you for being the one who sustains me. Thank you God for caring about all the "little things"; for loving me more than a sparrow. I praise you God for your faithfulness!
Amen.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows" Matt. 10:29-31

No comments:

Babywearing