Thursday, November 18, 2010

It feels like fall

It is finally starting to feel like fall here. So in honor of cooler weather I made soup.  I tried a new recipe tonight and the family LOVED it. I thought I would share it with you. 

Creamy chicken and wild rice soup
  • 2 stocks of celery chopped
  • Half of a red onion (or any onion) chopped
  • 2 large carrots sliced
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
  • 1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup milk
In a large pot saute the carrots, celery, and onion in olive oil over medium heat.  Cook until tender.  Add chicken broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice (and seasoning packet). Cover and remove from heat.

In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream and milk, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. 

Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes. 

I hope you enjoy!  Next recipe I am going to share is for {easy} homemade bread.  I got the recipe during our scratch cooking class. Oh I still need to do a post on our simple living time.  That is coming soon.  I promise. :)

No comments:

Babywearing