Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A scary fall

The evening was ending the way it usually does. We got the kids teeth brushed, jamies on, diapers changed, everyone upstairs. The craziness of the routine was no different. We were laughing and playing with the kids. Claire started to do a little dance (while sitting) as the boys ran circles around her. That gave me an idea. I decided to run into Anna's room to get her mp3 player and idog so that we could show Bill how Claire likes to dance to the music.

It took me a minute to gather everything. Anna soon joined me at her bedside as I tried to figure out how to turn the mp3 player on. Suddenly I heard Bill shout "Liz" from the other room. I looked up just as Claire reached the the stairs....Bill was right behind her, but there was nothing that could be done. She was too quick. She tumbled down the entire set of wooden steps. Bill trailed behind her. He tried to grab or catch her, but it wasn't possible. She did about 3 flips before she hit the bottom on her face.

I felt sheer horror in that moment. I was at the bottom in a flash next to Bill as he scooped up a screaming Claire into his arms. All I could get out was a prayer for help, "Oh God, oh God" Anna and Ryan were both screaming because they were scared for Claire, and James just kept saying "What happened?"

Bill and I began to look her over. The fact that she was screaming which was a good sign. I took her in the other room to try and nurse her and calm her down. As I started to nurse I noticed that there was blood coming out of her eye. I quickly unlatched her and motioned for Bill to follow me into the other room (I didn't want to alarm the kids who were standing right there still crying). We immediately decided to rush to the ER. I quickly called Bill's mom as we rushed to get everyone into the car, to tell her they needed to take the kids because we had to get Claire to the ER.

It felt like such a long drive to the hospital. I sat in the back next to Claire crying and praying. It was hard to see her in the dimly lit car. I couldn't tell if she was really okay or not. She fell asleep almost instantly. I spent the whole ride trying to wake her up.

When we got into the ER I literally jumped out of the car with her and ran inside while Bill parked the car. Claire woke up and was looking around, she actually appeared to be alright. I got in line and anxiously waited my turn. As soon as I explained what happened, the lady behind the desk phoned someone and said,"we have an infant with a severe head trauma" My heart jumped at hearing those words. They rushed us back to to a room. We took Claire out of her car seat and a few nurses and Doctor began to look her over. Claire sat there on my lap, content and alert and happy, as if nothing had happened.

They decided to do a few x-rays just to make sure everything looked as good on the inside as it did the outside. Bill went back to the x-ray to help hold Claire. I could hear her screaming all the way down the hall. After all was said and done Bill brought her back to me so that I could comfort her like only a mom can. Then we waited the results.

The Doctor came back and said that everything looked really good. No fractures or brakes. Just a few bruises on her head and face. Turns out the blood in her eye was nothing serious. They think she just bumped her nose and the blood came out her eye. Praise God! On the way to the hospital I was envisioning the worst...loosing her or her having some sort of brain damage. The Doctor told us to wake her and keep an eye on her over the night, just to make sure.

As we packed up and got ready to leave the hospital, we did have a moment of laughter. Bill told me that when he pulled up to the ER door to let us out, in my haste I forgot to close the van door. He called, "Liz....door..." But I never heard him. So he just drove away to the parking lot with the door open and the dome light on. He said people were looking at him strange. You would have to know my husband to understand the way he would tell this story. He has a way of making things funny. I almost wet my pants laughing at the sight of him driving with the door and light open. God is good to give us laughter in the midst of it. :)

We are all so thankful for God's protection! It was a very long scary night, but we got through it. It definitely made me think...made me realize even more how I need to treasure each moment with the little ones that God has given us. You just never know what could happen...not to live in fear, but to embrace the time God has given.



12 comments:

Pam said...

THANK YOU GOD that Claire is unharmed! My heart is beating so fast having just read about the fall. I'm so relieved that she is OK.

I know (from 1st hand experience unfortunately!) how helpless you must have felt. It's so scary when they decide to knock out on you on the ride to the ER after a head injury. My 5 yr old was probably about Claire's age when I tripped while carrying her up our front steps (brick and concrete~could they have been ANY harder?) and the back of her head impacted the corner edge of the step. She started having trouble breathing and turning blue. Thankfully, after the CAT scan in the ER and some observation, they said she was fine. SCARY, SCARY!

My husband very well could've been driving around the same way as Bill, I don't remember and I certainly didn't care at that moment. But at least your have something funny to go along with the seriousness of the situation.

So glad everyone is recovering! I'll be praying for you all to be "accident free" for some time to come!

Have a great week,
Pam

Mikaela said...

What a scary thing. Rejoicing with you and praising God that He protected sweet Claire!

Suzi K said...

Oh Liz how sacry! So glad Claire is ok! How scary for you and the family! Thank you Lord for your protection!

~Suzi

Our Family said...

OH MY...that had to be scary, but the Lord was with her and with you at that moment...PRAISE God she was alright!!!

Jaci Spain said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I do remember you from Bible School and I always love finding blogs of people I know:)

You kids are adorable. So glad little Claire is okay. That must have been the scariest thing ever!

The Jessie James Gang said...

Oh Liz, that's so scary! If I let myself think of all the things that could happen to my children I drive myself crazy and can't sleep for hours. Because I know I cannot always be there to keep them safe, I'm too outnumbered! But I just have to keep giving them to God!

Charlyn said...

Wow. You had my heart racing. We had a similar story with our youngest. When we picked him up from the bottom of the stairs he was limp! When we got him the ER he threw up! We were so scared. But obviously he was fine (12 years later!) I totally know how you felt!

Fairlight said...

Oh, how terrifying! SO glad that Claire's okay!

Janelle and Ella said...

Oh my gosh, Liz!! I am so sorry this happened and SO happy that everything turned out okay.

Tamara said...

I am so glad she was okay.
I too, know this all too well. When Josie was less than a year old, she was crawling everywhere, and trying to stand up on things.
She had crawled to the basement steps, but there was a door at the top. Unfortunately the door opened in instead of out, and it wasn't latched all the way. Poor Josie fell all the way down the wood steps and hit the cement floor at the bottom. I didn't know what that sound was, but I heard a horrible cry and I just knew!
Josh was at home, so he was able to stay with Emma, and I took Josie right across the street to the ER (one nice thing about living next to a hospital).
She was fine. No bruises or anything. The doctor told me that this was the best age for her to have fallen, b/c she didn't try to "brace" her fall. So, I guess the same is true for Claire!
The kind of funny thing is that less than a week later she got the biggest shiner from a rocking horse handle. That made me realize that she was always going to get bumps along the way. I have also learned that nearly every mom has a "baby falling down stairs" story.

Nell said...

Oh Liz...I can feel your terror from that night! Thank God it all worked out.

:--) Nell
CasualFridayEveryday.com
Twitter.com/casualeveryday

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I've never been to your blog before and this brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad she's ok and everything is fine now. How scary!

Babywearing