Monday, February 16, 2009

What's for lunch?

I really need to get groceries. Today I had to get creative with lunch. That is often the case for our end of the week groceries (I buy groceries on Monday nights). Today I had some leftover spaghetti sauce, cheese and taco shells in the fridge. I decided to make mini pizzas.
Since I only had enough sauce left to make 3 mini pizzas I decided to see how humus and vegi pizzas would taste.
Humus:
1/4 C. Extra virgin oil
1/4 C. Lemon juice
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
a few garlic cloves
I chopped the cloves up real fine (or you can use a garlic press...so much easier), then blended all ingredients in my Magic Bullet until it was creamy.

Most recipes for humus call for Tahini sauce, but I didn't have any, and honestly I think this tastes just as good. :)
I spread the humus on tortilla shells, topped with chopped (unthawed vegetables), sprinkled with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Baked at 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Oh my! They were yummy! I am wishing I had more cheese to make more. :)

How about you, what sort of things do you prepare when you don't have much left in your cupboard? Do you ever get creative? Have you ever just invented something out of what was left in your fridge. If so did you love it? Did you hate it? Did you find a new favorite?

This is definitely a new favorite here...especially the humus and vegi one. :)

2 comments:

The Jessie James Gang said...

My most recent "Whole Lotta Nothin" meal was a hash concoction consisting of our last potato, half an onion, some frozen corn, and our last four corn tortillas diced up. My husband loved it, but I was in far too foul of a mind to appreciate our last meal before his next paycheck. Thankfully, our food lasted just long enough, and we have gone shopping since then! Moving is difficult because you don't have much in your pantry yet to pull you through those times!

The Spanns said...

That looks so good! I think I am going to try it tomorrow. Nothing like experimenting on your kids!LOL

Babywearing