Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sometimes I wonder...

Where my brain has gone...

The other night I decided to make one of Bill's favorite meals for dinner. I love to cook things that I know he is going to enjoy (what wife doesn't?). I excitedly prepared my chicken dinner. I have made this meal many times before, and know that a few of my children do not care for it. So, I made an extra dish of plain chicken (without sauce) for the younger kiddos to enjoy. When the timer went off at the half way point in cooking, I noticed that the plain chicken was looking pretty dry and was sticking to the pan. I decided that liquid needed to be added. Well, without even thinking I pulled the pan out and poured COLD tap water into the HOT pan. I'm sure you can guess what happened next.
Yep that's right, it shattered all over the place.Ug! I can't believe I did that. Not only did I bust my Pyrex dish, but I ruined a whole pan of chicken. I had to toss and start over...meaning an extra 40 minutes until dinner time. In the process I burned my fingers on the hot dish and cut my hand on a glass sliver. And to add more drama to it all, I managed to burn the chicken (the first pan that was still in the oven). I wasn't sure whether to laugh of cry. :) Bill was so sweet when he came home and I burst out that I had ruined this special dinner. He ate it anyway, and said it still tasted wonderful and not to worry about it. :) What a good man.

I am waiting for my brain powers for return to me someday because incidents like this happen way too often here. :)

4 comments:

Pam said...

That really stinks!

At least the children weren't standing under you so they didn't get hurt. What a great big mess that caused.

I'll have to remember this little mishap for future reference myself.

And that was really sweet of Bill to not make a fuss about it. What a good hubby!

Have a great week,
Pam

The Jessie James Gang said...

Aww, Liz. It does seem like incidents of this nature are an almost daily occurrence around here too. The laws of cause and effect are so unforgiving.

Bethany said...

Just in case you need to "hurry" up the chicken again - wrap it in a paper towel and microwave it for about 8 minutes! Works great. Sometimes I will just do that until it is half cooked then put it in the oven for the rest.

Anonymous said...

oh my, what a disaster! I really think the Ferguson's have some kind of curse....

Tara

Babywearing