Sunday, April 5, 2009

1.8

*NOTE: if photography stuff doesn't interest you, you might want to skip this. :)

Pam (the friend who took those fun family pictures) took time out of her busy schedule on Saturday to come over and gave me a mini photography lesson. I have been trying to figure out how to take better pictures in low light, without a flash. She taught me a great trick on how to use my light meter. I am so thankful I can glean from her wisdom and experience. I was blown away buy this one little piece of information she gave me...seriously amazing people! I just love learning new things! Pam also came over bearing "treats" for me...and not the edible kind. :) She brought 2 lens for me to borrow and learn with. WOW! I was so excited. I still cannot get over her kindness. (I am saving for a new lens for my camera but it might be awhile before I can get one.) I'm sure you can guess what I spent all afternoon playing around with! :)

The aperture on the Canon 50mm 1.8 lens is stunning. Of course I am hoping that over time my pictures will improve, but I am sure that using this lens is really going to help.

Oh and for all those aspiring photographers out there I HIGHLY recommend the DVD "Beyond the Green box". Pam introduced me to Me Ra Koh Photography. Her DVD's are very informative, fun, and easy to understand. If you have a Digital SLR camera and are new to all of this...like me, then I would tell you it is totally worth the money. I learned so much. I have watched it a few times already. I keep going back to it as a refferance and learning something new each time.

So without further ado, here are a few pictures I took this weekend. Please excuse the boogery nose and eyes, Claire is getting over a cold.




8 comments:

Pam said...

Wow, Liz! The color in these pictures is great! And this was in low light using NO flash? Impressive.

And another WOW about your friend lending you some lenses to learn with. How generous!

Happy snapping,
Pam

The Jessie James Gang said...

Beautiful coloring. And I LOVED your family pictures.
We have a very nice 35 mm camera (it was my husband's before we got married) but its easy to get spoiled to the immediate gratification of the digital so I haven't used it much.

Suzi K said...

Those turned out amazing!! That is ONE sweet friend! You know I am so jealous and happy for you all at the same time!!:) I will look into that dvd. I too am saving for a new lens. I was thinking of getting the 55-200mm. I would love the 18-200 but it's like $800, fat chance!:) So was that a 55mm that you were practicing with then? I have the Nikon 18-55mm would that be similar to what you used?

Suzi K said...

Nevermind the last question I went back and re-read the post.:) Thanks for the helpful tips!

Nicole said...

The pictures are beautiful! You'll definitely have to practice on our family :) !

Stephanie said...

Wow! What gorgeous photos! I just bookmarked Me Ra Koh's website.

And I love the name Claire, by the way. We almost named our second daughter that...

strohlie said...

more, more, more!!! and to think that i almost took the lens home. it just needed a little love.

Tessa's Mommy said...

These are great pics, Liz! Alton and I just recently got a Canon 40D and I am learning so much. Can't wait to see what pics I can take. Thanks for sharing!

Babywearing