Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A scary day

But in hindsight it could have been so much worse.

Did you see this story in the headlines? A 3 year old little boy disappears from his home in MO on Monday. He merely slipped out the back door, unnoticed. Bill and I watched a CNN news report about the missing child tonight. This hit REALLY close to my heart tonight. The reason being, this could be us...

This morning I was doing an art project with the kids at the kitchen table. James grabbed a piece of construction paper and said he wanted to color. Since I hadn't gotten the crayons out yet James asked me to help him. I asked him to wait a minute because I was in the middle of helping Ryan cut something out. James got down from the table and went out to the back porch where we keep the art supplies. He was out there for a few minutes when Bill called from the other room, "where's James?" I replied the he was on the porch getting crayons. Little did I know that this was NOT the case.

A minute or 2 later, the doorbell rang. I gasped, thinking it must be James but wondering how in the world he got out the door because he doesn't know how to get it open. I quickly ran out there. It wasn't James I saw but a stranger woman standing there. I opened the door to see 2 woman actually, standing there by MY James.

"Is this your son?"

"Yes" I replied scooping him into my arms. I was totally bewildered. Then the woman explained that they had seen James running across the highway...not once but twice. They pulled over and approached him. When they did, he led them back to our house (which was across the street). I thanked the woman (who by the way explained this in a less then friendly manner. She had a very angry disgusted look on her face.)

I took James into the house, still stunned that this had actually happened. Bill and I talked to James who seemed totally oblivious to what he did...like it was no big deal. I melted into a puddle of tears. I have been officially rewarded "Worst mother of the year". I didn't even know he was gone until the rang the doorbell. The time frame of all this was actually only 5 minutes. It happened so fast. I knew as soon as those two woman walked away that the cops would be the next to show up (of course they reported me). Sure enough 10-15 minutes later a cop is at our door.

Of course my house was messy from a morning of teaching the kids. Toys on the living room floor from Claire and James, art stuff all over the table, and dirty dishes on the counter. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Are you running a daycare facility here." Um no...these kids just all belong to me. He then took my name asked me what happened. I told him the whole thing. He took the the names and ages of all my kids. Talked to Bill. He then told us that he is required to report this to social services. Then he said don't sweat it, I'm sure everything will be fine. (Whatever, "don't sweat it", I've just been told that I am being reported to Social service, and now they may just show up at my door!). He then found an excuse to walk through the house (he said he wanted to see the backyard), I'm sure so he could see if our house was trashed. I explained that the reason for the boxes and bags of stuff on the back porch is because we are moving in a few months...I don't want him thinking we live like slobs. Ug! He left shortly after talking to James and telling him not to run away again.

What a nightmare! I still feel sick thinking about it. I think of all the what ifs. As I tucked James in tonight and kissed him on the cheek, I thanked God for this little boy, for protecting him. After hearing the story about the 3 year old today who is still missing, I feel so grateful that my boy is sleeping soundly in his bed. My heart aches for those other parents. I know how quickly things can change. Life could have taken a much worse turn for us today. I am praising God it didn't, but praying for the parents who's lives will never been the same.

14 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh my! How scary and awful! I'm so glad that James is safe!!! Those little peanuts God has entrusted us with move so quick, think so fast, isn't it amazingly gracious (and funny) that God finds it a suitable match for us parents? He obviously wants to keep us on our toes, huh? :) I hope that you can relax and put this day behind you soon. I'm sure it was super traumatic.

I'm glad you blogged about it. Someday when you're going through stories of James from your archives for James' high school graduation, you'll for sure want this one in there!

The Bailie Clan said...

oh my gosh, liz! that is terrible! ahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tara said...

as you know, I can so feel your pain... God was watching over our little stinkers as they zig zag across a busy highway and not get hit by a car...I dont know how we havent had heart attacks by now!

Please DO NOT think you are a bad mom, it happens, hopefully it wont again...and if you think about it, you have FOUR kids I only have ONE and our kid has more of a "record" than all of yours combined, haha! And I am pretty sure social services isnt going to call, they like to threaten that...

Andy, Shauna, Mianna, Hadley, Grady, and Eli said...

Oh my goodness Elizabeth! I am so sorry for all this! I cant imagine how you were feeling, first to find out your little boy gets out the door, then he's on the street, then to make matters worse a cop has to get involved! You are such a graet mommy. This could easily happen to any of us! It all happens so fast! I had a scare with Hadley a couple wks ago running out in the parking lot and if the little grandma hadnt seen her, Hadley would have gotten run over! They run away so fast before you can even blink. So, don't be too hard on yourself! I am so sorry this happened to you! I can only imagine how scared you felt! You are a good mommy!!!!

Charlyn said...

My heart raced when I read your story. Actually, something similar happened when my boy was little and in diapers. And we lived close to a very busy highway. We found him and weren't reported. But very scary! He had an angel watching over him as did James. :)

strohlie said...

Liz, we have ALL been there. Okay, this may have been one step further (but we know James!). Holy cow, I feel so awful for all of you. Whether or not if everyone who came to your door had grumpy faces, they brought you your James in one piece. The police did not find a negligent parent, Thank God. I am just beside myself, I feel so badly for you all. (sigh) I am thinking it might not be a bad idea to invest in a $2 latch for the top of the door. ***A 2 yr. old was wandering the streets at 10pm last fall when a neighbor was moving in. Either parent thought that she was with the other. We walked her back (2 blocks) to her heartbroken parents, too. Moving is a busy time with little ones.

Mikaela said...

Praising God with you that He protected your James. Don't believe the lie that "you win the worst mom of the year award" That isn't true. You are the best mom for your kids...He has blessed them with YOU! That's the truth!

Nell@SheSnaps.com said...

How utterly frightening! And it can happen in a split second. I know my middle son would be gone in a second if I didn't literally watch him every moment. I'm so glad everything is okay... and I know you've had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Nell
SheSnaps.com

Bethany said...

Have you read/heard anymore about that child that went missing? I was praying about it this morning in my quiet time. I sure hope that family is back together by now!

Liz Ferguson said...

I just heard yesterday that the little boy that was missing in MO was found late Wednesday afternoon. They found him 3 miles from home. He had spent 2 nights in the woods, in animal infested woods. Amazingly he was fine. Praise God!!

You can read more about the story here.

Bethany said...

Oh my goodness! Praise the LORD!!!

Tamara said...

What a frightening story! I am so glad he is okay!!!

MaranathaMom said...

Oh my! How SCARY! That could happen here too--we have a 3 yr old & our back yard is NOT fenced. YIKES!

Stephanie said...

That is scary and awful on so many levels. But it could happen to any one of us...

Thank goodness your little boy is okay!

Babywearing