Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Crumbs on my back

I think when it really hit me was a few weeks ago.  We had to do a photo shoot with our graduating class...Like I actually had to be IN a picture. I had to go out and buy an outfit because almost 6 months postpartum I still can not fit into any of my clothes {sigh}. I found an outfit that I felt was somewhat flattering. I did my hair (which I don't always have time to do) and put make up on (never do). I thought I looked relatively okay.  However when we got the group picture back a few days later I was horrified. I guess because I am never in pictures and maybe I don't pay much attention when looking in the mirror.  Seeing that picture made me realize that I really need to get myself into gear. It was the motivation I needed. Also buying a scale (I hadn't been weighed since Kaitlyn was 6 weeks old) and seeing that I have only lost 2 pounds since her birth was another motivating factor. :)

I have never been good at sticking with any kind of work out plan or diet. I always start out with good intentions and then it quickly fizzles out. I want to work out but I let other things get in the way and I don't make the time.  In all honestly I really despise working out. It is HARD.  Especially right now when I am So out of shape.  I do LOVE how I feel after I work out though.  There is such a sense of accomplishment.  I have started a work out routine. I do have high hopes of sticking to it this time around. There are two reasons for that. First, I have never been this heavy this long after having a baby. I have always just lost the weight easily (with the exception of my first baby...took me a long time to loose weight), but not this time.  Maybe it's because I am getting older? Second, I realize I am getting older and the need for me to get/stay in shape increases. I have a long family history of health issues (Diabetes being one of them).

I have thought about this a lot. Maybe years ago it would have just been about me loosing weight and looking/feeling good. While I can't lie and say that isn't something that I still desire, the need for me to live a healthy life is what is driving me. Bill and I have made a decision to walk a difficult but, oh so rewarding path, so for the sake of what God has called us to I want to be healthy and strong. Exercise is just one more tool for me to use towards that goal.  The goal is not self preservation, it's about being a good steward of what God has given me. I know that my body is a temple for the Holy Spirit so I need to do what I can to take care of this body that I have right now.

I have had to start slow. It has been a long time since I have done anything. I tried to start a routine a few months ago but because of school and the amount of homework I had (and the fact that I had a newborn who still got up at night) I wasn't able to do it for more then a week.  I was just too exhausted and lacked the motivation to try and force it.  Life has started to slow down a bit these days so this was a good time to start back up. The first time I worked out I was so so sore.  I had to wait 3 days before I could work out again. I thought I could just push past the pain but Bill told me (from his past experience of weight lifting) that I should wait and let my muscles heal. The next time I worked out I only had to wait two days, and now I am up to the point where I can work out every day. :)

I know it's going to be tempting to quit, especially when I don't see the results that I want. It is going to be tempting to skip when I feel tired and just don't.want.to.do.it! But, I know I can do it this time and I need to.  I don't want to let this become something I obsess about or worry about, it just needs to be apart of my daily life. If that makes any sense.

So while I have crumbs on my back tonight (from working out on my dirty floor of course) at least they're not on my face! {grin!} 

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Good luck with everything and I really hope you can stick with it and enjoy it! I'm here if you need some encouragement or just want to complain about how bad your muscles hurt(mine are all pretty sore right now) And I hope that this can become a part of your life and not just a chore once you've lost the weight. I KNOW you can do it Elizabeth!!!!!!!

The Bailie Clan said...

BEST WISHES, LIZ!!! :)

Babywearing