Thursday, July 12, 2007

Higher

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

I have known since I was young that God's ways are so different then my own...

When I was ten years old, the Lord decided to take my Best friend's dad home to be with Him. I loved her dad. He was such a sweet and funny man. Every time I would go over to her house her dad always had something to say that made you smile. He loved the Lord and loved his family very much. He was a friend to many. Everyone in our church loved him. Our parents were good friends and had several Bible studies together. We were close with their family.

I don't remember all the details because I was a child..and I'm sure I don't know all of them anyway. They found out too late that he had Hodgkin's disease. He was misdiagnosed with something else. By the time they realized what he had, it was too late. In our minds this should never have happened. It seemed so unfair.

Throughout the whole process, he clung to the Lord. I never heard from anyone of his complaining. He fought his illness until he took his last breath...he fought for his family...but he seemed surrendered to the Lord's plan.

He was not my father, and I can't imaging the grief his family went through, but I had my own grief. I had been so convinced in my young mind that God would reach down and heal him. It just seemed inconceivable that he would die. Yes, he did receive his healing, but not in the way I had been hoping and praying for.

That is just one of many life experiences that God has used in my life to show me that His ways are higher then mine. It was so painful to go through, and at such a young age. But, God has been so faithful to teach me, using every painful experience for His glory...

Yesterday, we got the news...Bill did not get the job we had been praying for. I am sad like I said I would be...but I do not feel hopeless. It is very painful for me to see Bill come so close, so close I could almost taste it, and then get turned down. Bill had moved on before the letter had even arrived. He knew in his gut that it was not to be.

I could sit here and say, "God this is so not fair. It seems like it was dangled in front of our faces only to be pulled away." Maybe it feels that way...but that is not the truth. I am choosing to dwell on the truth. "Just as you'll never understand the mystery of life forming in a pregnant woman, So you'll never understand the mystery at work in all that God does." (Ecc 11:5 from The Message) I cannot possibly understand God's mind...it is beyond me. I trust in Him though....He knows what He is doing.

It would be a very scary feeling to not be in control, especially when it comes to money, if we did not have faith that the Lord is in control and has a plan. Ecc 7:13 says, "Consider the work of God, For who is able to straighten what He has bent?" It seems like an impossible circumstance. Bill has gotten turned down over and over. It doesn't make sense. God, and only God is able to "fix" this situation. And, I know that "fix" will probably not be what I think. "Man's steps are ordained by the LORD, How then can man understand his way?" (Prov. 20:24) I don't understand, but I trust my savior.

I have this song on my mp3 player right now. I love the words.

Praise you in this storm (Casting Crowns)
I was sure by now
That You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth


I feel kind of guilty calling what we are going though right now a "storm". Maybe it doesn't sound "storm" worthy. It seems so small compared to other things. I have friends that have seen more struggle, or more hardship than I have in my lifetime. But, this is what we are going though...it is painful for us. We are very thankful for everything God has blessed us with. Please do not misunderstand and think I am complaining.

This is my hearts cry...to praise Him no matter what, because God is good! I want to be content no matter what, because God is good. To wait upon the Lord for His plan, Because God is good. I give Him all my praise because He is worthy!

Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD. Psalm 27:14

I am waiting, and finding hope and courage in the process...God is good!

4 comments:

Loving Life said...

Rest in His goodness Liz! God only has what is good instore for us -so if things don't go according to our wishes, rest in his goodness because something wasn't right with what we thought was ideal. You are wise beyond your years and all your emotions are SO normal for a female/wife/mother. We relish security in all senses and when one warbles we are emotional enough to let everything in our world appear insecure.
Let us help you pray...what EXACTLY is Bill's desired position and location? I believe the Lord delights in showing us how powerful He is in even the minutest of details.
There's nothing wrong with a healthy fear because I believe its what pulls us towards God and His communicating to us. Course, that's in moderation..I'm not saying we have the license to fear all we want. Just enought to turn our faces His way and hold it there.
Anyway, praying Friend! Always praying and anxiously awaiting His goodness for your lives,
~debi~

Charlyn said...

Oh girl, I feel your pain with you, and I'm so sorry. You are truly a great testimony of faith during trials. I love this song by MercyMe. Here's the lyrics, but if you haven't heard it, you must look it up! It's called "Bring the Rain".

I can count a million times, people asking me how I - can praise you with all that I've gone through...

The question just amazes me, can circumstances possibly - change who I forever am in you...

...
...

Chorus

So I pray - Bring me join Bring me peace Bring the chance to be free Bring me anything that brings you glory and I know they'll be days when this life brings me pain, but if that's what it takes to praise you...Jesus bring the rain...

I am yours regardless of the clouds that may loom above because you are much greater then the pain

You who made a way for me suffering your destiny should tell me what's a little rain

So I pray Bring me joy Bring me peace Bring the chance to be free Bring me anything that brings you glory and I know they'll be days when this life brings me pain but if that's what it takes to praise you...Jesus bring the rain...

Holy holy holy, Holy holy holy, is the Lord God Almighty!

If you need ANYTHING, call me. A shoulder, a ride, a babysitter, a meal...just call me. I'm here for you!

Wendy said...

I'm sorry to hear that, Liz. You have such a good perspective on everything. I'm sure you are such a help to him right now, just with your attitude about this.

I love that song too. Powerful words!

Janelle and Ella said...

Thanks Elizabeth for your sweet comments!!! You have a very beautiful family. I look forward to reading more of your blog.

Babywearing