Wednesday, July 25, 2007

My prayer

When we put the kids to bed at night we always sit around on the floor and pray together...even James now. He has learned to sit quiet with his hands folded while we each take a turn praying. Ryan is always the last to pray.

One particular night not too long ago, after Ryan had said, "Amen." He looked up at exclaimed,

"I don't love Jesus."

Inwardly I cringed but responded calmly, "Oh really Ryan? Mommy and Daddy love Jesus very much. That's why we talk to Him and read the Bible."

"Why don't you love Jesus?" Bill questioned.

"Because I don't know Him." Ryan said matter of factly.

Now, this isn't because Bill and I haven't talked to our little ones about God and Jesus. We talk all the time. We read stories, sing songs, pray...God is the biggest part of our lives. It's just that Ryan has not come to the point in his young life where he understands. He is so right...he does not love Jesus because he does not know Him.

My only desire is that my children would come to know Christ and love Him. I love Him so much! I want my kids to know the peace and joy that comes from having a personal relationship with the King of Kings. And I want my children to be able to spend an eternity in the presence of their Redeemer.

Oh Father, I just pray for each of my little ones, that they would come to know You. That they would see their need for a Savior and come to a saving knowledge of Christ. Help them to see that they can be saved by Your grace, and nothing from ourselves. I pray that you would give them each a desire to serve You. Please burden them with the Gospel message. I pray for mailable, obedient hearts towards You. I entrust them to You Father, they are Yours to use. I pray that my children would bring glory to Your name.

6 comments:

Charlyn said...

This sounds much like the prayer I often pray for my own kids. It is a mother's greatest gift to know her kids trust Christ, and to see them living a life that bring glory to Him! Don't ever stop praying for them!

Our Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Our Family said...

Ahhh...I know how you feel! Quaid is like that all the time too and sometimes just to get him to pray with me. If he doesn't want to then I don't push it, but pray for him...then I go in the other room and pray for him again ;)

Bailey prays for Ryan too :)

Janelle and Ella said...

Amen! This was a very touching post!

Andy, Shauna, Mianna, Hadley, Grady, and Eli said...

This reminds me of Mianna. We read and pray to her each night and her favorite story is Noah's Ark. And at the end of the story, we say "Thanks God for your promise of the rainbow" and she always responds, "Thanks Noah" and we say, "No, say thanks God." And she says, "No, thanks NOAH!" I actually think she's just being stubborn testing our limits! :) She does know she loves the Lord, but im not sure she exactly understands the concept of who he is! Keep praying! :)

Wendy said...

Keep praying and setting the example!
Sounds like you handled it very well.

Babywearing