Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Encouraging thoughts

I needed this encouragement today!

"When we appeal to our children’s hearts for excellence and choices of good behavior, then we are giving them the will and desire to be excellent all for themselves. Their desire comes from within and their motivation is from their heart. But if we train them behaviorally by always forcing them to do what we want them to do because they might get a spanking, or another kind of threatened discipline, then their motivation is to avoid spanking or harshness but not to please God or to please their parents, by having a good heart and responding in obedience."

"No matter what philosophy we as parents have for disciplining children, we need to remember that our goal isn’t primarily to make them obey, but to motivate them to obedience from a sincere and loving heart."


These are quotes from Sally Clarkson's blog "I take Joy", in her article titled "The Value of Self-Government and Will Training". You can read the rest of it here. I really enjoy the wisdom that she gives to other moms.

This article was so timely for me and what I'm struggling with right now. Wisdom is indeed needed for this mommy! Oh how I pray to be the mother that God wants me to be!

1 comment:

Our Family said...

Ahhh...."123 Magic" :) Ask Tara or read my blog...lol

Thoughts from the past

Babywearing