Saturday, August 20, 2011

Turning a corner

During my run this morning I felt something change in my body.  I'm sure it wasn't an instantaneous change, it's been changing over time but this morning was when I sensed it.  I have totally turned a corner with running.  My endurance is so much more, my breathing is controlled, I don't feel out of breath and I'm not as tired afterwards.  I can tell my muscles are getting used to to running because I can stretch them further, they are not as tight as they once were. I feel excited about this like, "Whoa, I can actually do this running thing!"  I have not lost a single pound yet in the last 3 weeks but I am sticking with it despite the fact.  My body seems slow to make changes so I'm thinking over time I will eventually loose the rest of the baby weight. It just might take longer then I wanted.

Bill has started running again too.  I am really excited for him.  He used to be a runner and has always enjoyed it but he hasn't done it in years. Don't tell him this, but I think I was influential in him starting back at running. :) I think he saw how much I was enjoying it and it made him remember that it was something he once loved. 

I took Ryan with me this morning on my run.  He got all dressed in his shorts and running shoes and declared that he was going to run with me.  I thought about turning him down because I really enjoy running alone.  I don't like to talk while running. I love listening to music or to the sound of my feet hitting the pavement.  I decided though to give it a try, I told him he could join me. He turned out to be a really good companion. He isn't much of a talker, so that wasn't an issue for us. He did really well too, I was surprised actually.  He stayed with until about 16 minutes into it. We were close enough to the house at that point that he just ran home.

I think this is so good for our family. I think it is building healthy habits and hopefully being a good example to our kids about taking care of our bodies. It's fun that Ryan sees both of us exercising and wants to do the same now. It serves as a good reminder to me that our kids are always watching so we must be wise in what we are living out before them.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

good to hear

The Bailie Clan said...

woohoo! I'm so glad the couch to 5k program is working for you and your household! Kids will follow by example, so well done! :)

I'm so excited for you! Keep up the good work!

Babywearing