Sunday, August 14, 2011

We are family


It would be easier to send them out to play 
instead of playing with them

It would be easier to turn on the TV
instead of turning it off

It would be easier to not get involved
instead of getting involved

It would be easier to ignore
instead of paying attention

It would be easier to do what I want
instead of what they need

It would be easier to send them to school
instead of keeping them home

It would be easier to deal with outward appearances
instead of the heart

It would be easier to love what is lovely
instead of what isn't

It would be easier to respond harshly
instead of kindly

It would be easier to only share part of the truth
instead of the whole



We had a rough day yesterday.  The kids just couldn't seem to get along.  I felt like, instead of being Mom I was Referee. It was hot out but not as hot as it has been. I told the kids they needed to go out to play. From the moment I uttered the words there was nothing but complaining. They fought over everything while they were outside. I had a lot of issues I had to deal with with them. It was very draining.

I'm not sure what the change was but I happened to look over at the kids as they all huddled around Katie (who was sitting in a make shift pool, aka a rubber maid container), I see  them pile their hands on top of each other.  They did it several times. I leaned in closer to hear what they were saying.  I was surprised at what they were doing. "On the count of three. 1. 2.3...FAMILY!" They shouted.

For a brief time I got a glimpse of something good...the value of hard work.  The value of putting in the time.  The choices we make to do the right thing with our kids, often times the hard thing. It is no easy task being a parent.  There are days when I wonder if any of the work I put in will amount to anything.

God is good to give small reminders.

Keep going.

Keep pressing on.

There ARE good things happening here...even when it doesn't feel like it.

To see fruits of our labor is such a reward.

This verse has become something that I pray over my children. It is my desire that they would live it.
"Do everything without complaining and arguing,  so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. Hold firmly to the word of life.." Phil 2:14-16

In order for them to live it, I have to model it and so that means making those hard choices.  That means being diligent and consistent. That means letting Christ love them through me so that they can see Him.

And so I press on. :)

1 comment:

Nikolai Family said...

It's so rewarding to see the fruits of our labor. :-) You're a good mom!

Babywearing