Thursday, January 24, 2008

Things that happen around here

A snippet from my life...

About a week or so ago, I went to Target when they had like 5 isles of toys 75% off. I found a few things that my sister in law (Tara) had been looking for so I picked them up for her. When we got home I fed the kids their lunch then turned on PBS for them while I did a few things around the house. I decided to run outside real quick because I had left the bags in the car, and I knew Tara would be coming over any minute to pick up her stuff. As I opened the car door Tara pulled into the driveway. We stood there talking for a few minutes. I didn't think I was out of the house that long...it was freezing cold and I hadn't put on my coat, so I was in a hurry to get back in.

As soon as I walked into the house I sensed that something was awry. I see Anna and Ryan huddled next to each other, Anna phone in hand. She looks up and lets out a little gasp. And then in an almost scolding way asks, "Mom where were you?"

"I ran outside to get stuff out of the car." I replied.

"We didn't know where you were." Anna continues.

Still staring at the phone in her hand, I suddenly feel panicky, "What did you do?"

Anna starts to stammer a little.

"WHAT did you do?" I ask a little more firmly.

"Well, we didn't know where you had gone. Ryan was saying, 'mom, mom, where are you?' and we couldn't find you."

"Did you look all over for me?" I ask.

"No."

"WHAT did you do Anna?" I ask for the third and final time.

"I called Andy and left a message. We thought you had left us and we needed help. I told him emergency we can't find our mom can you please come over and help us?"

"Oh honey, what made you think that I would ever leave you alone? I would never leave you." At this point I was feeling a range of emotions. I was mad that I hadn't mentioned to the kids that I was running outside. I was upset that Anna had made an emergency phone call to a friend of ours. But, I was also relived that Anna hadn't dialed 911! I took the phone from her. We talked about what happened. Although I admitted to her that I wasn't exactly sure how to handle the situation.

I had to call our friend Andy and leave another message letting him know that everything was ok, and that it was all a misunderstanding. I decided to put the incident behind us and move on with our day.

A few hours had passed and the kids and I were sitting on the couch reading books together when the phone rang. I answered, and an unfamiliar voice came from the other end,

"Uh hi, I got this frantic message on my phone..." The stranger paused. Suddenly it hit me what was going on.

"Was the message from a little girl?" I asked.

"Yes." Was her reply.

I apologized to the strange woman and explained what had happened. (Oh my word, I wonder what she thought?) Apparently in Anna's rush to call our friend she had dialed the wrong number. Ugh! Now I had to call Andy back again and leave another message...What a mess!

What lesson did I learn from all this? Always tell the kids where I am going. :)

When all was said and done, it did make for something to laugh about. Some days are just like that! You never know whats going to happen next in our house...

4 comments:

Nicole said...

LOL! That's a great story! And the fact that she called some stranger makes it even better.

Bethany said...

HAHAHAHA! At least the lady called back, right? How nice of her!

Our Family said...

Awww...that's funny and scary too I'm sure. I've had that happen too, I ran to the barn quick to get some stuff out of storage and I came back up to Quaid SCREAMING and crying because he thought I left him...lol. Poor kid's, guess we sometime's forget they don't know everything and ANYTHING could happen in an instance :)

The Bailie Clan said...

lol!!! omg! i laughed so hard reading this.... that is sooo funny! but i can imagine the mixed emotions you were feeling at the time!!!! thank goodness she didn't call 911!!!!!! AHHH!!! lol...

ahhh that's kids for ya i guess!!!!!!

:)

Babywearing