Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Good Shepherd

He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm,
and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. Is 40:11


When I was younger I loved lambs; still do in fact. I used to dream that I could raise one. They just seemed so sweet and vulnerable and often helpless. I had friends who had a few in their barn so I would go and visit them every once in awhile. I loved the earthy smell of the hay and the dirt that surrounded these creatures. I would pick up the little lambs and snuggle them close.

The picture Christ used so often to portray Himself as the Good Shepherd and us as His sheep, is one that I could identify with. I love the picture of Him carrying me close to His heart. That He knows me by name, He cares that I am in His fold, He picks me up and carries me over the rough terrain. He feeds me and provides shelter from the storm. He is always standing guard to make sure no harm will come. Even when I think I am "alone" and don't feel His presence His eye is always on me.

I think that's why when I came across this verse in Isaiah that it really hit home. Not only is God all those things that I mentioned, He also cares about me as a mom. He gently leads those that are with young. Wow! I have always known that but I guess to see it in print in front of me just touched my heart. Some days being a mom is so tiring. I have come to the end of myself and thought at times I am just too warn out to go on. But then God is there tenderly picking me up and carrying me when I am to weak to walk.

Thank you God for giving this mommy encouragement. Thank you for caring about me as a mom. Please help me to rest in your arms and allow you to carry me. Thank you for guiding me and giving me comfort when I need it. Thank you Father for reminding me that I need your Word to restore my soul.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I needed this so much today. So much! Thank you for this. You blessed me!

Charlyn said...

The Holy Spirit has convicted me through your example girl. I need to be in His word way more often.

This is exactly why we should be in His word regularly. Even if it is a single verse or part of a verse, He can encourage us and lead us on a daily basis. How many days have I gone without this? I care not to admit it. But the Lord even loves fools!

Babywearing