Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Three Priceless Treasures!

I read something that I thought was very profound. It was an article by Gregg Harris on the reason his family had chosen to home school. I found myself agreeing with alot of what he had to say, but the one quote that really stood out to me was:

"C.S. LEWIS ONCE OBSERVED that God is not so much offended that we want too much as by the fact that we are satisfied with so little. Though He offers us the highest of adventures in our Christian life, we settle for the stale mediocrity of our lukewarm religious routines. The parental counterpart to this idea is that most mothers and fathers actually want too little for their children - they settle for success in this world's terms. But God would have us aim higher, not like an ambitious stage mother pushing her mildly talented children into the spotlight, but like a fine jeweler making the best possible use of each bit of gold, silver, and precious stone he has. My children are priceless treasures, and I want God's highest and best for them."

Wow! Putting things into that perspective really made me think. What is my desire for my children's lives? I certainly don't want to settle for anything less than what God desires for them.

Today was a pretty rough day. It was one of those days that made you doubt every decision. I was tired from having to get up 3 times last night with Anna. And I think all of the kids were tired from that as well. (Because they all share a room, when one wakes up it often causes disturbed sleep for the others.) So, needless to say emotions were running a little high.

In the midst of all the chaos, something happened to cause me to reflect. Anna did something that was disobedient. It was actually something that was dangerous and could have caused her great harm. I was feeling quite annoyed. Arrrg!! I thought I have told her over and over NOT to do stuff like that. Shouldn't she know better? After all she is 5 now...nearly a grown up (in her mind anyway. :) )

In that moment I was faced with two options, 1.) deal with the disobedience with swift action; or 2.) reprimand her and then carry on with the day. Even though I was tired I chose the first option. I KNEW this had to be dealt with. It was a good teaching moment for both of us.

The reason this caused me to reflect was because I know there have been so many times when I have gone with option number two. Sometimes that is all that is needed; but I am referring to the times when it is direct disobedience and I simply choose not to deal with it. Sometimes it is just too hard being a parent and I choose to be lazy

There is a perfect example of this in the Book of Samuel. Eli the priest chose not deal with the sins of his sons,

"And the LORD said to Samuel, Behold, I will do a thing in Israel, at which both the ears of every one that heareth it shall tingle. In that day I will perform against Eli all things which I have spoken concerning his house: when I begin, I will also make an end. For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not." 1 Sam 3:11-13

Proverbs says to train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. It is my responsibility as a mom to train and instruct and discipline my children when necessary. It is NOT an option. To act as Eli did is negligent. It is not always easy to do the right thing. Sometimes it is easier for me to say, "ah, not that big of a deal.' or "I'll deal with it later." In doing this I am passing up opportunities to teach my children valuable lessons and the oppertunity to participate with God in shaping their character.

I know that grace is a factor in all of this. That is why I have to come before the Lord and ask Him to give me the wisdom I need for disciplining. And, oh how I need wisdom. Sometimes I really blow it. (I have talked about that before.) But, as I walk in the Spirit and rest in the truth that I have from His word, I know He is going to give me the strength I need.

My children are priceless treasures. God has entrusted them to me...what a privilege! I can't believe that the God of the universe would choose me and bless me with these precious gems.

Oh God, help me to remember what Your Word says about my children. The responsibility is so great, sometime overwhelming! Bill and I cannot do it alone. Thank you for Your Word and for putting godly people in our path to remind us of what You want. I pray that I will not become lazy in my parenting. I am so tired sometimes. It is so tempting to choose the easy path. But Lord, I know that is not what you desire for me. My children's souls and lives are at stake here. Thank you Father for loving me, and guiding me. I am in awe of you.

1 comment:

Charlyn said...

What a great reminder of how complacent a person can get in their parenting. I can't tell you the times it was just easier to go the easy way when it comes to discipline, but how it always rears it's ugly head again later. Thanks for sharing the scripture God laid on your heart!! What an encouragement - even at this stage in the game for me.

Babywearing