Saturday, June 30, 2007

When Things Seem Impossible

I'm not sure where to start. There is so much. This week has been so full of all kinds of ups and downs. I am utterly exhausted right now...emotionally and physically.

I am sitting here typing in a hotel in Tennessee. It's a long story so I think I'm going to have to start at the beginning...

Bill told me about a week and a half ago that he was going to start looking more aggressively outside of WI for a job. It just seems like there has been nothing but dead ends here. Saturday He applied to a bunch of out of state jobs. Monday he heard from 3 of them. Two of them didn't pan out but the third one e-mailed right back and set Bill up with a phone interview Monday night. Bill got off the phone from his interview and told me all about it. It was an entry level position in his field...the catch was the location was in Tennessee.

When he told me this I felt my heart drop and my gut felt sick. He was talking so fast, my head started spinning. They wanted to meet with him in person by the end of the week. And then he said something that horrified me. If they offered him the job he could start the following week. WHAT?! My stomach knotted even more. This is impossible. It is way too fast. We can't just pick up and leave.

I seriously cried like a baby for two days! It was pretty ridiculous. I wanted so badly to be rational with Bill, but every time we sat down to talk I kept crying. I can't explain it, maybe it's because my heart longs to stay here where our church is; I don't know but something just didn't feel right. We have known that God would somehow provide, but I just didn't expect it to be so hard.

I got on my knees many times and wept before the Lord. I prayed that He would "save" us...make another way if possible. I knew that if it was His will that I would have to accept it. I prayed for His will to be done.

I had called my friend Janel and explained everything that was going on. Her husband Warren had been tying to set a date for Bill to go Geo cashing with him and a guy that he works with (that happens to be one of the head guys in the IT department where Warren works.) Warren wanted Bill to meet the guy maybe just as a chance to get to know him. They weren't hiring but Warren thought it could be good meet him just in case some day they did decide to hire. Janel said that Warren was going to make it for sometime this week. I told her that God was going to have to act quick and open the doors to a job in our area because it was looking like the job in TN was a REAL possibility.

Things were beginning to feel impossible...

Tuesday evening Warren called and asked Bill if Thursday night would be ok to go Geo Cashing. Bill agreed...it sounded like fun, but Bill figured that it wouldn't turn into a job possibility.

Wednesday morning I met a friend for coffee. While we were out Janel called and said Warren had been trying to reach us. A job had opened up where he worked!!! He was on his way to our house to drop off the information at our house. He left a message that Bill should get over there that day and hand in his resume.

I ran home after coffee and got a hold of Bill. I explained to him what happened. He printed out his resume and planned to stop there after work and turn it in. Seriously I think I paced the house for the next 2 hours until Bill came home. This was insane. I had been praying all week that God would open a door.

After what seemed like forever Bill came home. He said he turned it in and that was that. He didn't figure he would hear from them in awhile...if at all. I told him, "we don't know what is going to happen. We serve a God who deals with the impossible." A few minutes later the phone rang. It was them....they wanted Bill to come in for an interview Wednesday morning! Bill has NEVER gotten a call back and interview scheduled so fast. Only by the hand of God was this all happening.

Wow God!!! That was all I could think.

His interview went well Wednesday. He came home smiling. I felt hope and peace. Bill really liked the guys that he interviewed with. They were funny and laid back. He told me that this would honestly be his dream job. They told him that he was pretty much the last guy to be interviewed for the job. They would be starting second interviews next week. So, that meant we wouldn't know until next week if he would even get a second interview.

We decided that he should still go to TN on Saturday because he needed to keep his options open. I was also starting to feel like I should go with him. It is a 10 hour drive and I wanted to be there to support him. Bill's mom agreed to take all 3 kiddos so I could go with.

Ok,so Thursday rolls around. Bill goes Geo cashing with Warren and one of the guys that had interviewed him on Wednesday. Obviously that was God ordained...planned before there was even a job opening. Anyway, Bill was told that night that they are going to give him a second interview.

Once again God did something we didn't think would happen. We found out that before Saturday (which I had been praying would happen. Amazing!

About a month ago I started wondering if it would be selfish to ask God if Bill and I could have a little time away...time to ourselves. I just felt like we needed a break. But, I knew we would never have the money to get away. I hoped it could happen but shelved that thought.

This may not seem like the ideal get away...and our futures are really hanging in the balance right now. Between two jobs. We don't know if he will get either one. But we KNOW that God is in control and that He orchestrates EVERYTHING! I get time away with my hubby. God is so so good to us. I am just overwhelmed at how God works, and how much He loves us.

I am sitting here waiting for Bill to get back to find out how his meeting here has gone. I am praying for God's will, for wisdom and that we would accept whatever it is that the Lord has planned. He has given me peace and I am resting in that for the moment.

Please continue to pray with us friends. Sounds like the job in our area is possibly between him and another guy ("Goliath" as Bill calls him...of course I reminded him that God caused David to win!) who has way more experience and credentials. I REALLY want Bill to get this job!!! But, we are praying for God's will, for peace of mind, and Patience to wait. God has ordained all these little details...it is truly amazing...only God could arrange such impossible circumstances. If Bill were to get this job it would be TOTALLY God!!

Now I am going to go relax with my Savior and wait for my hubby to return.

Until later...

2 comments:

Charlyn said...

Lord I lift up Bill and Elizabeth to you now. Thank you so much for the hope that you have given them, for your goodness to them. Thank you for the friends and contacts you have put in their lives. Everything works out the way you planned it. I also praise you for this trip to Tennesse, even if it was just an answer to prayer for the two of them to get away alone. I lift Bill's job situation up to you now. I pray that you would provide a job for him, and I pray that it would be a job that could provide well for their family and bring Bill contentment. I know you love and care for them, and you have something in store for them. Thank you for their love and faithfulness to you! I pray now that you bring them home safely. I pray that you would give them a swift answer to their job situation, along with a peace that passes all understanding.

In Christ's precious name, Amen.

(((hugs)))

Loving Life said...

Praying with you Liz!! Rest in God's goodness, whereever He lands you and don't be afraid to let any emotions you have loose. God expects us to act the humans we are and He loves us all the more!
And girl...ANY time away from kids can be utilized for quality couple time! Even car rides let alone outta state interviews! I hope you both get some real quality bonding time in. A happy wife keeps the smile on her husbands face!
Love you Friend!!!!
~debi~

Babywearing