Monday, October 8, 2007

Naming Rights

Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name. Gen. 2:19

The man said,
"This is now bone of my bones,
And flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman,
Because she was taken out of Man." Gen 2:23

The kids and I have been reading through Genesis. The other day the details of the creation account just struck me in a different light. God gave naming rights to Adam, it says clearly in Gen, 2:19. God told Adam to name all the animals, and whatever name Adam gave them, that was what they were to be called. He was also given the right to name Eve. God very well could have done all that Himself, but instead He choose to let Adam be a part in this aspect of creation. Interesting...

Now that we know what we are having, the search for a name begins. I have been praying for this little one since we found out that she would be joining our family. We knew that this baby was a gift, a promise of the Lord's provision. I have been praying that the Lord would impress upon us what this baby's name should be. Something full of meaning, something that will show the goodness of God and His love for us during a trying time. I want, when people hear and know what the name means, that they will not be able to help thinking about the faithfulness of God. I feel like the name is like an offering. He is giving us this child, and I want to give her a name that will reflect Him and bring glory to Him.

Naming our children has always been special. Each of our children's names have meaning to us. They each fit their names perfectly. I think it hit me more as we were going though Genesis, what a gift the Lord has given us in allowing us to choose. Just as Adam was given naming rights, the same is true of our children. A name is something that is so important and special, and we have been blessed with the privilege. Maybe it sounds silly, but I was just so struck by what a beautiful thing that is that God allows us to participate in. Not only do I get to participate in the miracle of a growing baby inside me, but we have the honor of naming something that rightfully belongs to God. Wow! Thinking of it that way, just makes it seem so sacred.

I don't feel stressed or pressured to find the perfect name because I know that God already knows what it is. This baby's days have been recorded even before she came to be. I know that in His timing He will make it clear to us. While we are given the right and the privilege to call our baby what we want, we are looking to Him for wisdom. I am so excited about it! Isn't it so amazing to just sit back and watch God reveal His plan? He just amazes me!

By the way, the picture taken of me above, was taken by Anna. We did some photography for art class today. She wanted to take pictures of me and the baby. I think they turned out pretty good. I am not all that fond of my picture being taken, but it was a fun project for us. I was going to post all the pictures that we worked on today, but I felt kind of funny about it. If you really want to see them, you can go here to the baby's blog.

7 comments:

Our Family said...

So sweet, Anna is going to be quite the photographer...maybe she can come take our family pics ;)

Elizabeth, you are such a Beautiful Woman in which the Lord has blessed in every way, I am so encouraged everytime I come to ready your blog on how the Lord uses you to help spread his word. You are so strong and faithful in the person He has made you. I praise Him for you!!!

Bethany said...

I love what you wrote, Elizabeth. I am really without words...

You so clearly articulated the explanation of the gift God's given us in naming our children. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness and your sensitive spirit.

Andy, Shauna, Mianna, Hadley, Grady, and Eli said...

What a beautiful picture of you! Anna is a great photographer! Your thoughts are so inspiring. Im sure whatever name God guides you to use will be very special in many ways! I can't wait to find out what that name might be :)

Jennisa - Avery and Livvie's Mommy! said...

What a wonderful post! I have ALWAYS loved the name Eden...

Janelle and Ella said...

That picture of you is gorgeous!! And a girl, yea. Congratulations!!

Katy said...

That is a beautiful pic of you! And congrats on your new baby girl on the way! How exciting!!! :) I love large families!

The Graham Family said...

I love that picture! It is beautiful! You are beautiful!

Babywearing