Thursday, October 18, 2007

toilet water, grease, bees, beavers, and ducks

Ok, so here is my funny story: it is very long, and it might be one of those stories that you had to be there to find funny, however I am recording it here, so that I don't forget.

About a week or two ago, I had one of those crazy mornings...well actually, those happen a lot around here. :) But this one was a doozy! It started out good. We got through our school work in good time. It was a beautiful, sunny, warm day. Janel called to see if we wanted to go to the park to feed the ducks, of course I said yes. She had to pick us up because that was when my car was broken. Anyway, after I fed the kids lunch I was running around trying to get ready to go. Janel called to say she was on her way, and I told her all I needed to do was finish packing the diaper bag....

But then, someone left the bathroom door open...

I thought I heard something coming from the bathroom so I peeked in and saw James (aka "Curious George") splashing in the toilet. YUCK! He had toilet water everywhere, and he had thrown Anna's loofah in there (thankfully he doesn't know how to flush). I promptly washed James off, set him outside the bathroom door and proceeded to mop and disinfect the bathroom. All of the sudden I hear James screaming. I run out to the porch to find him COVERED in grease up to his knees!! What in the world? I was in the bathroom cleaning for maybe 2 minutes tops! In that time he had managed to find the coffee can (I pour all my grease into) that I have tucked behind some stuff on the back porch. It was dumped everywhere. And James was just standing there screaming, like he was terrified of what he had all over him. He had apparently found the can, decided to stand on top of it, and then fell in. I grabbed him, pulled off his pants (which I had to soak in dawn dish soap), and then bathed him off. I had to remove everything on one side of the room (and throw out my broom and dust pan...I wasn't even going to attempt to clean that), and then figure out how to get it cleaned. I was in the middle of all this when Janel came to the door. I was one the verge of tears. Poor Janel, to have to walk in on all of that! She was so sweet and patient though and helped me finish getting the kids together so we could leave. Once in the car I breathed a sigh of relief.

Janel and I started chatting as we pulled out of the driveway. We had gotten maybe a mile down the road when I felt something on my foot. I shook it a little, and looked down. there was a bee crawling on me.

"AHHH." I yelled. "There's a bee on me." I shook it off my foot.

"where?' Janel screamed.

Then we both started screaming as the bee flew around. Janel puled over and and rolled down the windows. It flew out.
Meanwhile, the 5 kids in the car (who probably think their moms are crazy) are observing all this. Ella, Janel's 4 year old starts yelling, "Mommy where is the beaver?" "Why is there a beaver in the car?" Over and over.

It was just one of those moments...we both burst out laughing. Neither one of us could stop. I don't know if it was really that funny, or we both just really need to laugh. We laughed until we cried and until we both hurt. The kids just sat there. I'm sure we had just confirmed to them how crazy we really are! :)

The rest of the day was fine and light hearted. We enjoyed our time feeding the ducks and playing at the park.

Sometimes it just feels so good to laugh! Thank you God for friends and for bringing laughter in the midst of it all. :)
The pictures of the kids in the car, were snapped right after the bee or "beaver" incident. None of them knew what to think.

5 comments:

Our Family said...

Oh my goodness...that story was hilarious ;) I could just imagine...lol! Glad you guys had a great time at the park though!

The Graham Family said...

I love the title! I was wondering what it was going to be about. I am laughing soooo hard remembering that. The looks on the kids faces definately confirmed that they thought we were crazy! Thank you for the laughter and your friendship.

Mikaela said...

I can picture the events unfolding like I was there. Thanks for sharing that story!!! It totally made me laugh! My only question is since both you and Janel are pregnant and were laughing so hard, did you leave something out of the story...like peeing your pants? Or is that just me when I'm pregnant?

Liz Ferguson said...

Mikaela, good question! :) No, I didn't leave anything out of the story. However I can guarantee that if I had been standing, there would have been something to add. Being pregnant doesn't take much (a sneeze, laugh, cough) to make me pee my pants. HA! :)

Andy, Shauna, Mianna, Hadley, Grady, and Eli said...

James is such a curious George, but a very cute one! Great story! I'm glad you guys had fun and you were cheered up :)

Babywearing