Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dear Annaliese


I've know forever that this day would come. The first of many days that my heart will swell and my breath will pause...in the realization that you have turned into a young lady. There is no stopping it. You continue to grow and change at a rate that I can hardily keep up with. My arms remember the day as if yesterday, that you were placed in them and you made me a mother. Each day since has been like a mystery unfolding in front of me. I stand and watch in wonder as the Lord molds you into who He wants you to be. I get to see glimpses of who you might become, and I have to tell you it excites my heart!

The other day I had a talk with your piano teacher [side note: she is also our pastor's wife]. She told me of a tender moment she experienced with you. Unknowingly to me you were carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders. You confided in your teacher of your concerns for a sick uncle, for your baby sister who was having surgery in a few days, and a few other things that had you concerned. Your heart was so burdened that you shed tears. She stopped the lesson to talk and pray with you. After that you felt better and were able to move on with your lesson. I am so thankful for the godly woman in your life! Upon hearing this story I got a glimpse...this was the moment that I realized that you ARE growing up. I got a chance to talk to you later that evening about what happened at piano. You told me everything, and I noted the maturity in your thoughts and voice, the wisdom and discretion that you displayed. When did this happen? Sigh!

Anna you have a beautiful heart. I know that God wants to use you. I see how you care about others. I see your compassion. You are amazing. You are a gift. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. You are beautiful from the inside out.

I know we have our struggles. Some days are just so hard. But then there are days like this when I see...truly see who you are meant to be. I see Christ working in you. I have hope that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion. The road is long. It is full of bumps...full of growing pains...but oh, there are so many joys along the way. I pray for you my sweet girl everyday...that you will draw closer to Him. I also pray for me for wisdom and also that I will allow you to grow and expand your wings as is necessary. I want you to know that I am always here for you. I love you so much.

Happy 8th birthday my lovely lady!

Love,
Mom

4 comments:

Charlyn said...

You have a lovely daughter, and she IS growing up so fast. The other day she congratulated Kayla on her wedding day and she sounded so mature! She is a 16 year old in an 8 year old body. :) She is quite something.

Tara said...

that is beautiful Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Aww, that is too sweet! You are such a good mommy and blessed with such a beautiful sweet daughter! Thanks for sharing this!

Stephanie said...

This post made me tear up. My girls are 2 1/2 and 3 months old, but I know I'll be "standing in your shoes" before I know it. They can't stay "babies" forever...

Babywearing