Monday, July 20, 2009

Our lullaby

Every night I sing to the kids at bedtime. There is something about the act of singing that seems to just sooth the soul. There are 3 songs that we usually sing. I just love the words in all of them...all lullabies about sweet Jesus. I pray the words of the last song I sing, as they all close their eyes and drift off to sleep, will fill their minds with peace and love. I want the last words they hear to be about how much they are loved....


Today was so full and so busy for both of us
But for tonight, all those burdens can keep
Come, let sweet Jesus be the light in your darkness
And open the door to a paradise of sleep


For he grants sleep to the ones that he loves
And I live to love you as well
The last words you'll hear tonight will be, "I love you,"
For love we've been given a lifetime to tell


Your tender sadness, it touches the heart of me
Howling and scowling just make you more dear
With all this commotion, now, what could the trouble be?
For love's sake, my darling, I'll always be here


For he grants sleep to the ones that he loves
And I live to love you as well
The last words you'll hear tonight will be, "I love you,"
For love takes us all of a lifetime to tell


For he grants sleep to the ones that he loves
And I live to love you as well
The last words you'll hear tonight will be, "I love you,"
And that takes us all of a life...time...
To tell
~Song by Michael Card
From the Sleep Sound in Jesus CD

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I have often often sang the words of that chorus to myself. Thanks for inspiring me to find a copy of Sleep Sound in Jesus for my little ones!

The Bailie Clan said...

I knew exactly which song you were referring to by just reading the first sentence. That's the album my Mom would have me listen to during nap time, and she would play the guitar and sing from his book. Ahh the sweet memories.

I have Ash's music on during the night....even late at night I'll turn it on when she's in a deep sleep, cuz I feel she can still hear it....and it still soothes. She listens to that cd the most.

I have another one of those cd's still unused, for if we ever have another child some day.... I just love the memories it fills me up with each time I listen to it. It's comforting, and I hope my child(ren) find it soothing to. :)

Stephanie said...

What a beautiful song!

Stephanie said...

So sweet!

I sing to my 2-year-old every night before she drifts off to sleep too. She always requests the alphabet song and then I sing "Jesus Loves Me," "You Are My All in All," "Father I Adore You," and "Our God Is An Awesome God." And then...she's usually fast asleep. :)

casual friday every day said...

Oh, you're such a beautifully sweet Mother. I don't sing my kids to sleep. I need to. I will. Thank you for the inspiration!

Nell

Babywearing