Monday, October 18, 2010

In love?


Ryan announced after dinner tonight, "I'm in love with Trina!"

Me- "In love? With who?"

Ryan- "Trina, she's my girlfriend."

Me- "Girlfriend?"

Ryan- "Ya. I have two girlfriends now.  Ella and Trina. I guess I'm going to have to decide who I want to marry."


Me- "What?"

Ryan- "Yeah and Riley is mad at me."

Me- "Why? Who is Riley."

Ryan- "A girl in my class.  She's mad because I said I love Trina. But Trent loves Riley."

(apparently there is some sort of love triangle going on here)

Me- "When did this happen?"

Ryan- "At the beginning of the school in Writer's workshop."

Oh  my word!!! I wasn't planning on having a conversation like this until MANY years to come.  My 1st grader thinks he is in love? Needless to say we had a chat about the fact that we don't need to have a girlfriend in 1st grade. {smile} I asked Ryan if he was old enough to get married, he laughed, "No."he replied like he thought I was silly. We talked about the purpose of having a girlfriend and we all agreed that it was to find a wife or husband. There seems to be some confusion in his mind as to what a girlfriend is.  I had a hard time not laughing during this conversation because of his innocence and matter of fact attitude about it all. With that being said, seriously I was not expecting that! I am simply amazed at the things my kids come home saying (and amazed in not a good way). This just makes me all the more excited to start homeschooling again in December. Anyway...

I just love that boy and the things he says and does! He is such a sweet guy.  I can see why all the little girls at his school like him so much! {grin}

2 comments:

Nikolai Family said...

I just laughed out loud when I read this post. I'm sure Caleb will be coming home saying stuff like that soon enough. lol

Allie said...

Kinda reminds me of a story about you when you were 5. :-)

Babywearing