Sunday, October 17, 2010

Weekly Wrap

Ahhh, my time has been so limited lately.  We have been up to our eyeballs in homework (all things Dobu) so I have not been able to get on here. To sum up my week I could just say HOMEWORK, HOMEWORK, HOMEWORK! I think you get the point.  We have been busy analyzing all the info we got over the past 2 months in the culture we were studying. We have one more week to go and then we will be done with this class. This upcoming week is more paper writing and analyzing. I have analyzed so much I dream about it until my brain hurts. LOL

We had our last session with our language helper on Friday.  We decided to keep Anna and Ryan out of school for the morning so we could take them with us. We prepared them as much as we could. We weren't sure how they would feel being involved in the simulation. They did great however. They were both very attentive during the session.  Ryan kept leaning over and whispering to me and pointing out all the interesting things in the room. Anna didn't say a word until we got home.  Then she took some time to vocalize what she had observed. One interesting thing that she picked up on is that our language helper is unsaved (the character is unsaved that is, not the person who plays him) because she noted that he talked about putting sickness on the trees. She noticed some worldview things that Alo (our language helper) said that don't line up with what we believe. I was excited that it turned out to be  a very positive experience for both of them.

Picture of our language helper and his hut.
It was bittersweet to have our last session in Dobu. We really enjoyed it. It was a lot of work (and all those wrap up papers will be a lot of work for the next week) but it was worth it.  I learned things that I wasn't expecting to learn...things about myself.  I don't have time to expound on that right now but I will soon.

I think this is all I have time for tonight. I am hoping to get back to write the things my heart has been learning.  We start our simple living class a week from tomorrow. That will be two weeks of no electrical appliances, no electricity after 10pm, cooking TOTALLY from scratch, no computer/Internet, etc. Sooo, hopefully between all the papers I have this week I can make time to get back on here, if not it might be a few weeks. {grin}

That's a wrap. Until next time!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I love reading these weekly wraps - so helpful to feel like we're still in touch!

Babywearing