Thursday, May 31, 2007

Analogy of a moth

Most of our friends watch the show Lost. We have never had the opportunity to watch it. I always wanted to start but just didn't make the time. I feel a little left out because everyone talks about how good it is...so Bill and I decided to check out the first season on DVD. We have been watching an episode or 2 in the evenings when we get a chance.

Last night we watched the episode titled "The Moth". I'm sure to most of you out there this is old news, but I'm going to share it anyway. There is this scene between 2 guys...one is struggling with drug addiction. The other is trying to help him give up his addiction. He uses the analogy of a moth inside its cocoon. For one thing he says that moths are totally overlooked, most people think of butterflies. But actually moths are very beautiful also. He points to a cocoon and says something like, I could help it along...make the opening a little wider and the moth would be free to go. But if I did then it wouldn't be strong enough to survive. Struggle is natures way of strengthening it.

I was like WOW! There could definitely be some spiritual meaning in this. I loved the picture of the moth inside its little cocoon trying and struggling...probably never thinking about the end result, just wanting so badly to be out of there. It's like our trials...they are a struggle. Sometimes we work so hard to be free, when the whole time God is standing there saying, "Wait on me...be still...there is something to come." God gives us that struggle not to make us suffer but to make us into something beautiful. Trials work a rich purpose in our lives. They strengthen us...they make us lean on our Creator.

I can identify with the moth...maybe for the most part having been overlooked because of all the butterflies out there...but also coming to realize that God is refining me and making me more beautiful. It's a comforting thought.

I remember one time while I was in Bible school walking though a trial really struggling with what the Lord had put before me. In the midst of my trial I wanted out...it was too cramped and uncomfortable, I felt like I was being squeezed. Of course growing pains are always uncomfortable. I couldn't see the end result or even that there was a purpose in what I was going through. I prayed to the Lord to remove my burden...His answer was no...for a little while anyway. God's plans are so much greater and better than we can imagine. Something far more wonderful and beautiful turned out then what I could have ever imagined. Isn't that how it usually goes?

During that time The Lord gave me the words to a song that I then composed into music. Maybe in another post I will share that. It is very fitting with the whole moth analogy.

I am off to watch another episode of Lost with my hubby! :)

3 comments:

Our Family said...

WOW...Awesome Analogy! Your always so encouraging, you really look into the meaning of things from God's perspective and open my eyes to see what He's telling me sometimes. Thanks for sharing, you really should be a Christian Columnist for a paper or something :)

Charlyn said...

You are a hidden gem. Wise beyond your years.

Blessings.

Loving Life said...

That is a great moth analogy Liz! Way to make me think and pray!
You know...my car sounded like an airplane was following me, so I took it in today and they said something about a 'rear bearings' being completely worn. They wanted to charge me $300 per bearing replacement (4 tires- $1200 total), so Russ called NAPA Auto Parts- guess what? The parts were $66 total and he found simple instructions online on how to replace them. He did one tonight and I no longer am being followed by a low flying plane. We just shake our head at how expensive cars are when taken to a dealer. Unfortunately we don't know any mechanics but Russ is pretty good at fixing cars and mine is not too old, but holy moly all the same! Good luck finding a new one on craigslist. I love that site- and I've had friends find great cars on it!
Thanks also for ALL your so encouraging comments on my blog! I love hearing from you!
tata for now Daaling!
ps- how's your end of the year going with homeschooling? Are you planning on doing it next year?
we are... and we're almost finished with math for this year. Just a couple more weeks! YEA!
~deb~

Babywearing