Monday, March 3, 2008

Cravings

I am totally craving something right now...but not what you probably think. It's not the kind of cravings I had when I was pregnant...not the food type. I am craving my BED!! Having a newborn and not getting as much sleep as my body would like makes me crave my bed...literally. I can feel it, it's like an ache...my body longs to curl up and go to sleep! :) My bed has never been so comfy as it is now (even though our mattress has got to be over 20 years old and desperately needs to be replaced.) When I do finally get to lay down, sleep is sweet and comes fast. I think I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. Psalm 127:2 says, "...for he grants sleep to those he loves." I really feel that is true for me right now!

I am not complaining. I just think it's kinda funny how much I think about my bed these days. :) Claire actually does pretty good at night. For example, if I feed her at 11:00 p.m. She doesn't usually wake until 3 or 4 a.m. So, I can get about 3 hours of sleep. And then I spend an hour feeding her in the mid morning hours and go back to sleep for maybe another 2 hours. So, on average I get about 5 hours of sleep a night. I think that's pretty good for having a newborn. Although, I would LOVE to get 8 straight hours of sleep...I will take what I can get right now.

I really think it is God's grace that I get such deep sleep when I do lay down. I feel a little more refreshed then I normally would after only getting 5 hours of sleep. God is good because He gives me the strength I need to take care of my little ones during the day!

Speaking of cravings, my soul has been craving time alone with the Lord. I have not had the time I desire to be in His Word. I miss it. Hopefully soon we can get into the groove of things, and find a new normal. Spending time in the Word needs to be a part of that normal. I know that I can not be the wife and mommy that the Lord wants me to be if I am not clinging to the life source. Not only is sleep essential to feeling refreshed, so is God's Word.

3 comments:

The Bailie Clan said...

I know how you feel and my NEWBORN is 18 months old! LOL!!!

Ash still doesn't sleep through the night.... wakes up at 10-11pmish...and then at 3-4ish...bugs me to no end....

Some day we'll get all the sleep we want, and wish we had things to do! lol.... That's what I've been told anyway... we'll just see. I personally cannot believe it...not yet... :)

Still have yet to see the lil doll, maybe this Sunday!?! :)

Bethany said...

I'm glad that God is gracious to grant you deep sleep when you can lay down. In a few weeks, Claire will probably have a bigger stomach with all the goodness you are providing for her and start to sleep longer at night. But for now, I hope you aren't trying to do it all. I hope you're giving yourself the freedom to adjust. I know for me, it might be hard to lower my expectations of myself. Have you been able to lay down during the afternoons? Please let me know if there is anyway I can help. :)

Grahamommy said...

I hear ya! I totally craved my bed. All I could think about was bed, pillows, blankets, warm jammies... remember? Nlow you know exactly what I was talking about. ;)

Babywearing