Thursday, November 1, 2007

A good fall meal

I love it when the air is crisp, and it's cool enough to turn on my oven or to cook over the stove. I enjoy making soups this time of year. So, I thought I'd share a few of our favorite recipes.

Potato Chowder
4 C. peeled, diced potatoes (I just use 4 small to medium potatoes)
1/2 C. finely chopped onion
1 C. grated carrot
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbs dried parsley flakes
4 chicken bouillon cubes
6 C. scalded milk
4 Tbs butter
1/2 C flour
Cooked bacon
cheddar cheese

In a large pot combine potatoes, onion, carrot, salt, pepper, parsley flakes, and bouillon cubes. Add enough water to just cover the vegetables; cook until vegetables are tender (about 15-20 minutes). Do not drain. Scald milk by heating until there is a film on top or until tiny bubbles form on the edge of the pan, Remove 1 1/2 cups milk and set aside. Add butter and flour to remaining hot milk. Add set aside milk to undrained vegetables then stir in thickened milk mixture. Stir until blended. Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.

Garnish with cooked crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese.

*********************
I also LOVE to make bread. If I had more hours in my day, I would do it by hand, however since the invention of the bread machine, I use that! :)

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread
1 1/4 C. water (70-80 degrees)
2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs butter, softened
1 1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbs nonfat dry milk powder
1 3/4 C. whole wheat flour
1/3 C. quick-cooking oats
1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

In bread machine place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacture. Select basic bread setting. Back according to bread machine directions.
(yield 1 1/2 pound loaf)

After I remove the hot loaf from the pan, I rub butter on top, drizzle with honey and the sprinkle with oats.

************************
Anything apple is great right now. I love making applesauce, apple butter, baked apples, apple dumplings and apple pie. Since I can't (or won't)share my top secret pie recipe ;), I wanted to share my favorite Apple Dumpling recipe.

Apple Dumplings
(filling)
2 C. sugar
1 C. water
1/4 C. butter
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
6 apples

(pastry)
2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 C. shortening
1/2 C. milk

Put sugar, water, butter and cinnamon in saucepan and bring to a boil. mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add shortening, cream well together and add milk. Divide dough into 12 balls, roll each on out big enough to cover each apple half.

Peel, core and cut apples in half. Put apples in the center of each piece of dough and fold edges together covering the apple. Place in a 9x13 baking dish and pour the sauce over the dumplings. Bake 35 minutes @375 degrees.






Happy cool weather cooking!

5 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

I need to live where you live. It was 80 degrees here in Texas on Halloween. Looks delicious!!!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Great recipes thanks!

Andy, Shauna, Mianna, Hadley, Grady, and Eli said...

Thanks for the yummy recipes. My favorite is the apple dumplings! :)

Wendy said...

These all sound great! Thanks, I'll have to try them!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

I have copied these recipes and pasted them into my book. Those sound absolutely delicious!

Babywearing