Thursday, December 13, 2007

The beauty of imperfection

This may sound silly but I almost considered not posting a picture of our tree. I suddenly felt self conscience about our humble little tree. I have looked at many people's homes and decorations and thought, mine cannot compare. It's so small. It kind of leans to one side. There are bare spots in some places. I have no fancy decorations. There is really nothing that appears to be special about our tree.

However, when I look at it, I am flooded with memories...memories that span years. The sentiment that is tucked beneath it's branches brings forth a lot of emotions. The fact that it is imperfect is another thing that makes it special to me. It really just portrays real life...a tree worn from years of use...worn from loving hands placing old and new ornaments upon it's branches.

My friend Janel introduced me to book called, "Why Christmas Trees Aren't perfect" by Richard Schneider, a few days ago. It's the story of an evergreen forest, and how many years ago all the trees used to be perfect. The story focus on one little evergreen. The little tree had listened to all the older trees on how to stay perfect...keeping it's branches beautiful and untouched so that when the Queen came to get her tree for Christmas she might consider using him. But, staying perfect meant closing his heart or branches to helping someone in need. The little tree decides to open his heart and shelter a small bird from the cold, help a poor hungry fawn, and a few others. All the other trees look away in disgust as the little tree becomes less and less perfect. By the time the the Queen comes to cut her "perfect" tree, the little tree is quite worn. At first the Queen looks at the little tree with disdain...but suddenly she sees something no one else seems to see, and she tells the perplexed woodsman that this is the one.

"For in looking at its drooping, nibbled branches, they saw the protecting arm of their father or the comforting lap of a mother. and some, like the wise Queen, say the love of Christ expressed on earth.

So if you walk among evergreens today, you will find, along with rabbits, birds, and other happy living things, many trees like Small Pine. You will see a drooping limb, which gives cover, a gap offering a warm resting place, or branches ragged form feeding hungry animals.

For, as have many of us, the trees have learned that living for the sake of others makes us most beautiful in the eyes of God."

Isn't that beautiful?!

If you want to read the book in it's entirety you can go here, Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect This is a book that I would like to purchase. I think we will use this as another tradition...reading every year when we set the tree up (thanks Janel for the idea). Our desire is to teach our children lessons about what Christmas is all about.

Who knew a tree could be used to teach humility and servant hood. I truly love this time of year and all the symbols we can use to teach our children about Christ's love.

Oh, the beauty of imperfection...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this story Elizabeth. Thank you so much for sharing. Our trees are just another example of our lives being not so perfect. It looks it but it's not! Thanks for this! I love it.

Mikaela said...

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate how open and humble you are!

Janelle and Ella said...

Thank you for that!! Our tree looks very similar to your tree. It's definitely not fancy, but I love it.

Our Family said...

Thanks for sharing..you are so great at reminding us those simple things that we need to see through the Lord's eyes. I think your tree is very cute just like you :)

The Graham Family said...

Hi. Thanks for writing this. You did a much better job at "promoting" this story than I would have. I am ao glad that I told you about it. :)

Babywearing