Sunday, December 23, 2007

Celebrating Christ's birth

Tonight we decided to start our Christmas celebration by reading about Christ's birth from the Read-N-Grow Picture Bible. This was actually my book as a kid. I love the illustrations in it. It's very colorful, and we thought it would help to hold especially Ryan's attention.

After we read about Jesus' birth we decided to let the kids open up one gift. Every year we get them each an ornament. That was a tradition my parents did with us, and one I wanted to pass on to my little ones. This year we bought them each an ornament with a different name of Christ. Ryan's said, Jesus. Anna's said Emmanuel. James' said Messiah. We talked about what each of those names mean and then we let them hang them on the tree.

We ended our evening with playing with the manger set and dancing to some Christmas music. What a fun (and hopefully memorable for the kids) way to start our celebration.

2 comments:

Janelle and Ella said...

I love your Christmas celebration. That is so neat that you got ornaments with different names of Jesus! I love how you make sure to celebrate Jesus' birth with your children, the real reason why we celebrate Christmas.

Andy, Shauna, Mianna, Hadley, Grady, and Eli said...

That is so nice Elizabeth! Its funny, that is really similar in what we do! Its so special! :) Im glad you had a good Christmas!

Babywearing